Friday, July 3, 2015

Began Reading: On Immunity

A while back I began reading On Immunity: An Inoculation by Eula Biss. I haven't finished the book yet, but I can say that what I have read so far is really good. I discovered this book from Bill Gates' Beach Reading (and More) list. I always find the books that Mr. Gates recommends to be very interesting, for he is a rather highly intelligent person. So I decided to buy the e-book for Kindle, which was about $9.99.

Biss is a very good writer. First reading the book, I was amazed at how well the it was written. At the begin you discover that Biss is a mother, and that she never really paid attention to vaccinations until she had her child. The book is based on her personal life about vaccinations backed by scientific discoveries and facts. It's really a unique way of telling how vaccinations work and why it's important. Sure, you can give all the facts you want about how vaccinations work in the human body, but a person can really relate to it if you actually tell a personal story. In which case, this is the story of how Eula Biss discovered the power of vaccinations with the inoculation of her son.

You learn about it as she learned about it. Her story is rather telling, and eye opening. Each page was just another marvelous discovery that she learned about to save her child from the diseases of the day - such as measles, small pox, chicken pox, polio, and more. It's a very good read, and at this moment, I give it a high rating. I'll do a full-blown review once I finish reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment